HelenGeek

Books are like Air ...

Without books, life would be sooo... boring. Don't you think?

It really is just that simple.

Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone
Unsuitable Men - Nia Forrester 03/02/2013 -- Overall Rating = 4.5 StarsBook Cover / Book Blurb = 2 / 4 = 3 StarsWriter’s Voice = 4.5 StarsCharacter Development = 5 StarsStory Appreciation = 4 StarsWorth the Chili = 5 Stars [A freebie for me, but $2.99 Amazon – not available B&N]I have a new favorite author! What a pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed every aspect of this book. This is a story about people figuring shit out. Pretty simple, but the author does it in a way that just pulls you in.A few things that really worked for me:1 -- The characters were real. Brendan is the loveable, successful guy we all know. He has it all and he is just so nice, we love him anyway. On cloud nine and is at a point in life where he is searching for someone to settle down with. Someone to share things with. Not permanent, permanent, but permanent right now. Tracy is that beautiful needy person. Not Brendan's first pick, but someone he can't resist. She never seems to be happy and is somewhat self-destructive. She is that girl, because she is so beautiful, we just don't sympathize much with. Maybe we should... Watching these two work it out is the crux of this whole story. Very tempestuous and heartwarming. I wanted them to be happy and have all life's wonderful things.2 -- One of life's most difficult lessons is one we struggle to learn ... we really don't pick who we love. This story paints this beautifully. These two have struggles trying to be to each other what they "think" the other needs. Eventually, they figure out, what they are really trying to do is make this person into an ideal. Another lesson, you can't make someone love you the way you envision love. They need to figure this out for themselves and then, you need to figure out if you can be okay with it. The author handles this beautifully. She makes me feel these people and their struggle. I never once imagined they could ever be happy with anyone else.3 -- The backdrop is the music industry. Young, rapping, sparkles and spangles, bright lights, big city, the whole thing. It doesn't play a huge part in the story, but just enough to give you some insight. Interesting for me. So not my world.4 -- I got it as a freebie on Amazon!!There were only a few minor things interfering with complete perfection:1 -- Minor editing issues. Very minor, but noticeable.2 -- I lost patience, many times, with Tracy. I'm pretty sure this was supposed to happen based on this character, but she wore me out. A little less of this, I think I could have handled just fine.3 -- The cover is a bit puzzling. Not sure it does much for the book, at all. Also, this is the second in a series. No mention of a first book when you buy, or decide to read. I'm going to go back and read the first one now, but just need to know, this is a second. And, the characters from the first are woven throughout this book. It really is a series.I really liked this story. I'm not the target demographic, so my enjoyment is that much more important. This is a story about a black, early thirties couple in an industry pretty foreign to me. I'm none of those things, and enjoyed this story tremendously. I'm planning to DEVOUR this writer's complete back-list.I just finished a novella finishing up Brendan and Tracy [bc:Maybe Never|17344246|Maybe Never|Nia Forrester|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1360453634s/17344246.jpg|24082811]. I'll review in a minute. Just as lovely as this one. Not a fluke. This writer has talent. Love when I find little treasures like these.Ms. Forrester, if you ever need beta readers, or need ARC reviews?? Pick me! Pick ME!!! Just sayin'!You will not be disappointed in this book if you give it a real chance. I enjoyed it from the very first paragraph.Happy Reading!