HelenGeek

Books are like Air ...

Without books, life would be sooo... boring. Don't you think?

It really is just that simple.

Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone
The Seduction of Dylan Acosta - Nia Forrester 03/06/2013 --Overall Rating = 4 StarsBook Cover / Book Blurb = 2 / 5 = 3.5 StarsWriter’s Voice = 3.5 StarsCharacter Development = 3.5 StarsStory Appreciation = 4 StarsWorth the Chili = 5 Stars [$2.99 Amazon – eBook not available B&N]WARNING -- This review may contain spoilers.Okay, to understand the whole gist of this story, just read the blurb. I wondered about this story the entire time I was reading it. It was truly an interesting puzzle for me trying to figure out just what was really going on. Dummy me ... just read the damn blurb!Have you ever read a book that gave you a knot in your chest at about 15% and it stayed there until about 75%? This is that book. It isn't a suspense, but the emotions it pulls from you are uncomfortable as you watch Dylan stumble time and again. Another something you may wonder about if you watch sports [and I do], -- what happens when you take a normal Joe and give him TONS of money for employing a God given talent? What happens to that person? What about the spouse of this person? How do they cope in the bubble? This is that story too.A few things I really liked:1 -- Mark. I just loved this guy. He had years to prepare for fame and still it hit him between the eyes. He had committed to himself that it wasn't going to impact him or his family. They were going to reap all the benefits but without having to give in or give up to the fans. We find out he was naive in his thoughts. We get an inside view of the destruction and rebuilding of Mark, the magnificent shortstop for the NY Mets [major league baseball team].2 -- Dylan has all the characteristics of person you would love to hate - but you don't -- you really can't. She is the one I was in knots for. I kept watching her stumble her way through living with Marks fame after she was thrust into it. She got no real help from him because he was focused on his game. She didn't have anyone really to help her with her transition and she was lost most of the time. If a wrong decision could have been made -- this girl was making it. Eventually she figured it out. The most important lesson was to trust in love. The love Mark had for her.3 -- The blurb for this book was spot on. Unfortunately, I didn't pay as much attention to it as I should have before reading the darned thing. If I had, I wouldn't have been as puzzled as I was, reading the book. I kept wondering about the point of the story. An example of my strangeness -- at one point, I actually thought the point was a play on the title of the book - NOT. So, my advise, read the blurb. You'll have a pretty good idea of what you're in for with this one before reading it.There were a few things I think could have been better for me:1 -- The depth given to the characters was a bit lacking. I knew Mark loved Dylan to distraction, but never understood why. I get that it was immediate for him with her, but I didn't feel that. I get that early on they spent time connecting, but this didn't really stand out. Later in the book Mark reminds Dylan when she asks the question I was thinking about.1a -- For me, the story development suffered a bit when the characters lack depth. Duh! But just wanted to state the obvious.2 -- I liked getting a birds-eye view of the life of a sports celebrity and their significant other. I can truly appreciate that fame isn't something I think I'd ever enjoy, but in this book, there wasn't a single secondary sports character we read about that we really like. They can't all be "Shit's". I would have like to have had someone a bit more positive.3 -- The cover does nothing for this book. I get that pearls and silk can look romantic and seductive, but it really isn't anything like the book.If I hadn't have read other books by this author, I wouldn't know just how good she is by reading this one. I'm thinking this is/was an earlier work before she got it all figured out. I really did like the story. I absolutely liked the characters. I don't think I felt all that Nia intended me to feel.If you aren't sure about reading this author, I encourage you to start reading Nia Forrester by trying Commitment first. This will get you started and by the time you work your way to this one, you will really understand what she is trying to do with this story. Hopefully, you will like and appreciate her effort here as much as I did.Happy Reading!