HelenGeek

Books are like Air ...

Without books, life would be sooo... boring. Don't you think?

It really is just that simple.

Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone
Millie's Rose - Donna Sturgeon 03/24/2013 --Overall Rating = 5 StarsBook Cover / Book Blurb = 3 / 4 = 3.5 StarsWriter’s Voice = 5 StarsCharacter Development = 5 StarsStory Appreciation = 5 StarsWorth the Chili = 5 Stars [$2.99 Amazon]5 Stars because this book is just that good and it made me feel so many emotions and many of them simultaneously. I had tears at a few points. This is the second book I've read by this author. This is her debut book. She has serious talent.This is a cathartic story of the pain of loss, the courage to love again and a love that grows beyond boundaries set by the participants. It is a journey. One lesson learned as you grow older -- love will happen in its' own time. You can't pick when, how, and most usually who. It will be. This is the perfect story to illustrate this concept.So much to like about this book, but I'll only outline a few:1 -- Dan: We have a man who is grieving the loss of the love of his life. He can't remember a day he didn't love Millie. Just what the hell is he supposed to do now? Millie knew he would feel this way so she made a plan. She wants him to go home. Go back where he grew up, where their love first started and build them a home. Do everything they planned to do. Fulfill their together dreams.2 -- Stacy: We have a best friend. She was Dan's best friend before she was Millie's, but once Millie came along, Dan took a backseat. Dan and Stacy care for each other as each is the keeper of the others childhood memories. Millie made Stacy promise to help Dan get through his grief. She made Stacy promise to care for him like she has done in the past.Dan and Stacy are the two halves of a whole. They have each traveled separate paths that have brought them to this together place. This is their story. It is absolutely wonderful.3 -- The weaving of words to put together this story is just remarkable. You rarely find this in any author, let alone a self-pub'd debut. I could chalk it up to a flukey first book that had been edited and re-edited before publish, if I hadn't read another by this author. Her second book is just as well written and has a completely different tone. Almost like the story burst on the page dragging the author behind. It is hard to describe for me -- I lack poetry in my words. If you read it, you'll know exactly what I mean.Is there anything I didn't like about this story?Not really. I could list everything I loved, but the list would be so long you'd just skim over it. This story speaks to anyone who has ever traveled the grief train. The journey seems endless until one day you wake up and it is over. Just over. To all those people who have helped someone with this journey -- this book will speak to your heart.I don't know what it is about Donna Sturgeon. This is her beginning, but it will not be the end for us. She is an awesome talent and I'm a serious fan. I can't wait to see what she'll come up with next. Such promise. I know I'm gushing, but wanted to get your attention on this book, this author. I hope I haven't failed. A damned shame - that.Just think. As good as this is, it is her first work. She can only get better. I love it!Happy Reading!