HelenGeek

Books are like Air ...

Without books, life would be sooo... boring. Don't you think?

It really is just that simple.

Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone
There is No Light in Darkness (Darkness, #1) - Claire Contreras 06/10/2013 --Overall Rating = 3.5 StarsBook Cover / Book Blurb = 3 / 3 = 3 StarsWriter’s Voice = 3.5 StarsCharacter Development = 4 StarsStory Appreciation = 3.5 StarsWorth the Chili = 5 Stars [$0.99 on Amazon]A plane ride, a weekend away from home. Alone. Plus 4 and 5 Star reviews from some awesome people had me reading this sooner, rather than later. Overall it was a good story. There were things I had issues with, but my issues were small and I'm immediately reading #2 which is out now. It does have a cliffhanger. Hate. HATE those!A few things I liked about this one:1 -- This story starts with a bang. It has a bit of suspense, a pretty girl, some great friends and a hunky hunk. What is not to love??2 -- The romance in this one is sweet and intense. It transpires over the course of time with two young people who love each other young and then grow from there. They have some rocky times, but it only makes what they find in the end, stronger.3 -- Cole, Aubry and Greg. I just love watching these guys grow up and how they interact with Blake. They each have a very distinct role in her life and I loved being the voyeur.4 -- The absolute perfect price. LOVE it!!There were a few things I didn't like:1 -- The suspense component had issues. This is the debut for this author, so remember this, I'll be gentler than I normally would. It fell apart in a few places and made Blake [the storyteller] sound a bit like an "over the top Drama Queen". I think this level or depth of suspense take some skill that may have been a stretch for a new author. It worked itself out, but did happen and is important enough to comment on.2 -- Blake did come across as over the top in places. She was dramatic in just about every way. She annoyed me in places. I may have not finished, if I hadn't been pulled to see what Cole would do. How would Aubrey play into a specific scene. I'm really hoping this element evolves and the rough edges I've noted get worked out before the second installment [reading right away].3 -- About 57% into this book we started taking big leaps in time. Two weeks, a month, a month and a half, etc. Either this was an attempt to edit a longer book or the author got super lazy. Not sure exactly what happened, but it didn't happen smoothly and it appeared chunky and made for a clunky story.4 -- The blurb and cover didn't sell me on this one. It was the reviews of friends. It just so happened it was on I had downloaded to my Kindle and was available while in the airport. If that hadn't have been the case, it may have stayed on my pile a while longer. Nothing but their reviews made this one pop.Once again, compared to what some of my friends saw in this one, I may be in the minority with my rating. I did like the book. Was it deserving of the 5 Star rating? No. I don't happen to think 3.5 Stars is bad. I think it better than average and indicates it had some work needed to push it into the 4 or 5 Star range. A decent read.I'm on to the next one. I want to see what happens for this group of friends. We shall see...Happy Reading!