HelenGeek

Books are like Air ...

Without books, life would be sooo... boring. Don't you think?

It really is just that simple.

Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone

The Wanderer

The Wanderer - Robyn Carr 02/17/2013 --Overall Rating = 3 StarsBook Cover / Book Blurb = 3 / 3 = 3 StarsWriter’s Voice = 3.5 StarsCharacter Development = 4 StarsStory Appreciation = 3.5 StarsWorth the Chili = 2 Stars [received an ARC, but will about be $7.99 when released in May]When you read Robyn Carr you must be patient. Her story unfolds like a mild Peyton Place with multiple characters drawn by a master. This reader isn't the most patient person, so this sticks for me a bit. Let me outline those things that worked for me, along with those things that didn't work.A few things that work nicely in this story:1 -- The rich characterization and backdrop is the true talent of this author. She can pull you into a community and into a story very quickly. She gives you the physical landscape and then adds rich personalities to go with it. I especially like the children and young adults drawn. For me, this is the key reason she could be listed as a "comfort read" author. I don't put her in this category because of my personal patience factor. More on this in a minute.2 -- She doesn't "dummy down" her writing. She will throw a phrase or word that works best, even if it may not be the most simple or appeal to a lower denominator.3 -- The story. It is all about a community. So many of this authors books are just that -- stories about a community. Rather like watching a movie pan a neighborhood and then zero in on the ... diner, or the florist shop, or the police station. This is how these books read. I like this whole dynamic, but some of it doesn't work for me [outlined in a minute].4 -- I'm one of those readers who likes to read a series in order. Even if a book can stand alone, if it is a series, I'll typically put it off until I can read the previous books to catch up. Just anal that way. So, the Virgin River series intimidates me. I think I'm at about book 5. Gave it up for a bit and haven't worked my way back. There are like 19 of those things and it makes me tired just thinking about it. So, for me, starting a new series by this author was almost a relief. I can experience her without all the effort. Probably not making much sense.So, what didn't work?1 -- Key is the relationship between the H [Hank Cooper, Cooper or Coop] and the h [Sarah Dupre]. These two don't really meet until about 30% into the book. They don't "connect" until about 65%. Like I said, I'm not the most patient person and when the pages kept going by without any real connection between these two, I wondered how it would ever evolve. It does, but then we don't have much time with them. I liked these two characters and would have liked more depth in the relationship -- more time with them.2 -- We have quite a bit of series set-up in this book. My experience with this author, she spends almost too much time in setting up her other books. You never get much "meat" time with the current character set. I'm betting, when I read the next in this series, I'll get a whole lot more Coop and Sarah and a bit of whoever the next couple are. Just the way she writes and I've had enough experience to know this is her format.3 -- This was a buddy read with a few good friends. One in particular kept comparing the community building with some of the same scenario's in the Virgin River series. Didn't seem to be a problem for him, but it does appear as if she is planning to reuse. For me, if I ever make my way back to the VR series [have purchased 3 more in the series, but just not read them yet -- planned], this will be a sticking point for me. So, getting ahead of this one.So, like I said, a good story, but be patient and let it evolve. If you've read and not really liked RC in the past, you probably won't like this one. I did like the story, but know I need to give myself a few days to read this author. If not, I lose patience all together and just want to drop kick it.If you love Robyn Carr, this will be the book for you. Same formula she's used in the past, in use here. She is giving you a whole new community to fall in love with.Special thanks to Ian and Searock for letting me hang out with you.Happy Reading!ARC provided by the Author, Harlequin Publishing via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.