HelenGeek

Books are like Air ...

Without books, life would be sooo... boring. Don't you think?

It really is just that simple.

Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone

Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #1)

Captive in the Dark - C.J. Roberts Helen posted this review Sep 5, 2012 at http://2geekgirlsreviewbooks.com/4.2 StarsBook Cover / Book Blurb = 4 Cover /4 Book Blurb, Total 4 StarsWriter’s Voice = 4 StarsCharacter Development = 3.5 StarsStory Appreciation = 4.5 StarsWorth the Chili = 5 StarsCaptive in the Dark is rumored to be a dark tale. It begins with a high school girl being stalked [although unknowingly] and then kidnapped. It has several very disturbing non-consensual scenes and elements of BDSM. All said, these elements were necessary to this story as told by the author and I liked it, tremendously. It is a story I will not soon forget and can see myself reading it again and recommending highly.What did I like about this book?1.) The development of the story. As mentioned before, it does start out very dark. It is disturbing and I can’t overstate this enough. However, as you read this book and the characters begin to evolve you gain an appreciation for the circumstances. We start out watching Caleb stalking Livvie. She is completely unaware. We get a few glimpses via flashback as to the reasons he is making plans to kidnap her. At the same time the author takes us to Livvie and her life from her perspective. We learn who she thinks she is and a little of how her mind works. These two are survivors and this kidnapping event will take them on their journey to each other.They spoke to each other in a language I didn’t understand. Listening, it was a torrent of fast speech, clipped tones. Something rich, very foreign .. Middle Eastern maybe. Did it matter? My brain said yes, it was information. Then that small comfort slipped away. Seeing the iceberg hadn’t stopped the Titanic from sinking …2.) Caleb. I really liked Caleb. From the very beginning I think I understood him. He isn’t what he seems. He is a very complex character. At points you think him almost a sociopath, but then we will get a flash of insight into his motivation. The author painted him well. I absolutely can not wait until the next book so I can see more of him.He didn’t want to do this to her, but what choice did he have? He’d resigned himself to the fact that she was a means to an end. If not her, then someone else …He held the palm of my hand up to his face so that I felt his skin for the first time. The intimacy of this single act forced my eyes to the floor and I abruptly feared his kindness more than his cruelty …3.) This authors voice. She paints a horrific picture but then provides you a smile or a glimpse of tenderness or intimacy to let you know “it will all be better soon”, rather like a momma tiger biting and then licking her cub; a bit of pain and then the comfort. She also switches between Caleb and Livvies POV effortlessly. This method allows you to gain a deeper understanding of the story, the darkness of Caleb’s character and the strength of Livvie. She provides everyday references to help you understand the horrible depth of Livvie’s thoughts for survival. Very enjoyable and this is one of her early works. She can only get better as she evolves as a writer.“A pool of water?” I jittered. “I don’t want to get in any water. Please,” I begged, “just let me go.” His voice was too calm, too refined, too matter-of-fact, and too … reminiscent of Hannibel Lector in The Silence of the Lambs. “You need a bath pet.” Was his terrifying response. Hello Clarice …What did not like or appreciate about this book?1.) I had a hard time in a few places remembering Livvie was supposed to be an 18 year old high school student. She drank beer like a trouper [but had been portrayed as a “good girl”], her thoughtful reference to “Silence of the Lambs” [book and movie circa ~1988/25 years ago], her level of control of her psyche during Caleb’s torture. She seemed to have it too, too together with an advanced maturity. I didn’t always buy into it.2.) I don’t like a cliff-hanger. I find it unfair to leave the reader hanging. And, I do believe we have a cliff-hanger situation here. This being said, I am anxiously awaiting the next one. But, let me tell you. I’ve read a few like this that leave the reader anxiously waiting on the next only to be sorely disappointed. I think it comes from the readers anxiousness and the “top of mind” they have with regards to certain books. This happened to me with Karen Marie Moning’s Fever series and I don’t think I’ll ever really forgive her. Not a happy camper, but am a grown up with my big girl panties on, so won’t pout too long.3.) On my Nook, the book was only 189 pages. So, not to belabor a point, the book seriously could have been longer. It took me an afternoon’s focused reading to read start to finish make notes and write this review. So, seriously could have handled a longer book … no problem! Just sayin…Overall, a very good book and a very quick read for me. It can’t be classified as a novella, but it only took me a few hours to plow through it. It kept me engaged and ran the gamut of emotions. Lovely.I want to be clear about the warning of the content. I think the author does a very good job, but if you are put off by non-consensual situations, this may not be for you. This is a story of a kidnapping and bondage situation regardless of reason; this is a story of a young girl being prepared to be a pleasure slave.Happy Reading!++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Okay, just bought the damned thing to prep for the group read 07/15. Hope I can hang!