HelenGeek

Books are like Air ...

Without books, life would be sooo... boring. Don't you think?

It really is just that simple.

Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone

A Thin, Dark Line

A Thin, Dark Line - Emma Elliot **** ADDITIONAL POSTING INFORMATION COMING SOON ****Overall Rating: 2.4 Book Cover / Book Blurb = 3 / 4 = total of 3.5Writer’s Voice = 2Character Development = 3Story Appreciation = 1 [did not finish]Worth the Chili = N/A [ARC from Netgalley, no idea what booksellers will charge for this one]This book ended as a “did not finish” for me. The writer was doing a fair job of pulling me along, until we started traveling to the mundane. We had dinner parties, we had walks and talks, we had breakfast preparation. All is okay, if it contributes to the story in some form or fashion. If it is just filler, which is my assumption, it then is just mundane and you seriously don’t read a book for mundane.Three things I liked about this book:1.) This is a “debut” book and so keeping this in mind, I think the writer did a fair job with the initial character development. It was after we had an idea of the characters that she had trouble keeping it together.2.) I seem to always enjoy a story when children are woven through and this story had two charming little boys. I was looking forward to more of them. But, they weren’t enough to keep me engaged through my boredom.3.) The book blurb actually sold me on this story initially. I was fortunate to receive the ARC from the publisher via Netgalley. When I read the blurb I thought the story sounded good. Unfortunately, after about 50%, the book lost my interest.What three things did I not like or not appreciate:1.) Mundane. When a book wants to take you on walks, to dinner parties, have you stand and watch breakfast preparation all without really offering anything to the storyline, then it is mundane. Why am I reading this? You never want the reader to ask themselves this question as they are reading your book. You have lost them and most will not come back. Engagement is the name of the game.2.) What more can I say. I think the above comment about wraps it up. I’m not going to over-think this or apologize. I would do the writer no service if did either. This might have worked better as a novella. If you enjoy mundane then this is the book for you. I know, I’m over-utilizing a descriptive, but it is a seriously good word to describe my thoughts on this one I won’t waste any more of your time trying to think of something kitschy to describe it better. 3.) Said it all before.This book was free and offered by the publisher [Smith Publicity] via Netgalley for an honest review. I really tried to like this one. I tried to read it in two separate sittings and got to the 60% mark the second time. I think the author started out decently, but then it fell apart for me. You may have better luck and if so, I’m very glad for you. Unfortunately, no Happy Reading for me on this one!I want to gratefully thank the publisher Smith Publicity and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this advanced copy.+++++++++++++++++++++++++Netgalley ARC on 06/13/2012.