HelenGeek

Books are like Air ...

Without books, life would be sooo... boring. Don't you think?

It really is just that simple.

Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone

Afflicted

Afflicted - Brandon Shire 02/06/2013 --Overall Rating = 3 StarsBook Cover / Book Blurb = 2 / 4 = 3 StarsWriter’s Voice = 3 StarsCharacter Development = 3 StarsStory Appreciation = 3 StarsWorth the Chili = 3 Stars [$5 Amazon & B&N]I actually think this author started out very poetically. Some of the initial dialogue between Hunter and Dillon was very good. I remember thinking to myself, "some serious skill here." As the book moved along, it lost a bit of its' luster for me. It ended up good, but really these characters, this story, could have been great.A few things I really liked:1 -- Hunter is blind. He has never had vision and has learned to use his other senses to compensate. The smells he describe is just wonderful. You get the full sensory impact. When he describe the smell of feet or the odor of fear, you can smell it. Not always pleasant, but very sensory. Very intimate.2 -- The independence of Hunter. He was very self-sufficient. He is blind, but is more seeing than most. We get a bit of insight into how he provides for himself. Some of his insecurities and how he compensates for them. I thought this author created an authentic world for us.3 -- Dillon's awful experience as his homosexuality was discovered by his parents. He was surgically removed from their life. They were a loving family who shared so much together and then ... Dillon was discovered to be gay. They just erased him. How horribly awful. You felt Dillon's pain and you wanted to give them back so of the pain and angst they gave to Dillon. He survived. Amazing.A few things that didn't work for me:1 -- I thought the story a bit boring. I didn't feel Hunter and Dillon together. I thought they were pretty good characters, but I didn't feel their relationship at any level.2 -- I didn't like most of the secondary characters [except for Shu-Shu]. I didn't feel their contribution to the story.3 -- Hate, HATE the cover. It looks like a mannequins' torso. What is the purpose of that? Just nothing appealing looking at the chest of a crash dummy.4 -- Based on my level of enjoyment for this book, I thought the price of the book a bit much. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have purchased it at this price.I hadn't read m/m in a while and looking for something to help come down from some teen angst before heading back into another. I picked this out of my library. It was okay, not great. Seems to be the theme for me with my reads lately.You may like this one a bit better than I. It seems to have better reviews from others. I hope you are Happy Reading, if you decide to give it a go.