HelenGeek

Books are like Air ...

Without books, life would be sooo... boring. Don't you think?

It really is just that simple.

Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone

Off Limits (Off Series, #2)

Off Limits (Off Series, #2) - Sawyer Bennett 07/20/2013 --Overall Rating = 4 StarsBook Cover / Book Blurb / Book Title = 3 / 3.5 / 2.5 = 3 StarsWriter’s Voice = 3.5 StarsCharacter Development = 4 StarsStory Appreciation = 5 StarsWorth the Chili = 5 Stars [$Free for me on Amazon!!]I started reading this series completely out of order with this one. I really liked this book. I think the author did her homework and offered up a story about a wounded war vet and his struggles to overcome. His wounds, for the most part, are invisible to the human eye. These are the most difficult to impact and understand.What things did I like?1 -- The storyline mentioned above. A wounded war hero home from Afghanistan. What a terrible place and it seems to impact anyone who is there serving and not in a positive way. I really liked how this author portrayed Nix. He was honest in his dealings with others. He was a right SOB and made no excuses, or few excuses. Emily was just the perfect contrast. She had the silver spoon, but had learned how limiting this can be in the "real" world. She was trying hard to make her way. I liked these two together.2 -- I think, for a simple story, the characters were very well developed. When I think of Nix, I think honesty. When I think Emily, I think accepting. This story wasn't incredibly long, but the author spent a good deal of time developing these characters. The plot was pretty simple. Put it all together and you have an enjoyable read.3 -- Harley and all he represented. He is a service animal. Nix uses him to overcome issues dealing with his emotions. To think how helpful these animals are. To think, our tax dollars used to help veterans, won't help fund these incredible animals to assist. The author makes this point and I appreciate it.Were there things I didn't like?1 -- The title tells me nothing. The cover isn't great. If I hadn't had the opportunity to get this one free, and if I hadn't have seen some of the really good reviews of others, I may have not looked twice. I'm very glad I gave this one a shot.2 -- This book could have been a bit longer. It was that good, but there were places where I thought, 50 more pages could have made a huge difference in the execution of this one. It was good. It could have been even better.3 -- Nothing else really. A very enjoyable read.I added this one to my favorites list. I think it will be one I read again. What greater compliment can be paid?Happy Reading!!