HelenGeek

Books are like Air ...

Without books, life would be sooo... boring. Don't you think?

It really is just that simple.

Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone

Heart of Iron

Heart of Iron - Bec McMaster 05/11/2013 -- Overall Rating = 3.5 StarsBook Cover / Book Blurb = 4 / 3 = 3.5 StarsWriter’s Voice = 3.5 StarsCharacter Development = 4 StarsStory Appreciation = 4 StarsWorth the Chili = 3 Stars [$6.59 on Amazon]Okay ... sometimes, you really don't do books a service when you read a series back to back. You need a break to really appreciate them. Why? Well, because the author uses a formula in their storytelling. If not careful, they begin to look the same. This is what happened for me with this book. I liked it, but it bored me a bit only because it so closely resembled the format of the first two. It was good. I did enjoy it, but I might have liked it better if I'd waited a bit of time to read it.What did I like?1 -- I really liked Will. I enjoyed his character. Liked him from the very first book. He was the verwulfen and who doesn't love a werewolf? He was so damaged in all that had happened to him, but had powered through it to be the character we got to know. He was really wonderful. His interactions and history with Lena made this story. Lena was a good character too. She was spunky. She wanted Will, but the rejection time and again were enough for anyone to finally figure out it just may not happen. 2 -- There was a bit more "Steampunk" in this one. More discussion of the mechanical elements. Some of the "danger" had more of this element. For me, I noted this as a "failing" in the first book. The author made up for it nicely here. Very creative.3 -- I loved seeing all the characters from the previous books. They played nicely in this one.4 -- The cover is really nice.There were elements I didn't like:1 -- So, following the "format" issue I mentioned, romance is very late in this book. Okay. May not be an issue for some, but me? Yes. An issue. This happened in all the books in this series. The author tries to build the "tension" so that when it happens you are relieved and happy. For me, this is too contrived and it happens too late. You have almost lost interest in this element by the time it does happen. I'm not talking sex. I'm talking the two MC's finally quit dancing around each other and become a team.2 -- I guess the whole premise or background was a bit worn out for me by the time it all closed. I just wasn't into it at that point. Lost interest a bit. I think it was all supposed to be a bit of mystery/suspense, but it didn't work too well for me. Overall, the story was a bit long or drawn out. Could have been about 50 pages shorter and might have been a bit better.3 -- Okay, you may not agree, but I'll say it ... the price. It really isn't worth $7. It is an okay story, but it isn't great. I was awarded an ARC for the book. Am really grateful. If I had paid for this story, I wouldn't have been terribly happy at the asking price. I actually may have waited to read it hoping the price would lower.I did like this story. I didn't love it. The second in the series is the better one and it is free on Amazon. If I look at it and then the first and third book in the series, the big difference is the number of pages. The authors format seems to work better with a few less pages.I'm going to look for more Steampunk. I think I really like it!Happy Reading!!Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Casablanca via Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.