HelenGeek

Books are like Air ...

Without books, life would be sooo... boring. Don't you think?

It really is just that simple.

Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone
The Christmas He Loved Her (Bad Boys of Crystal Lake, #2) - Juliana Stone ***09/03/2013 Full Review now Posted***08/14/2013 --Overall Rating = 3.5 StarsBook Cover / Book Blurb / Book Title = 3 / 4 / 1 = 2.5 StarsWriter’s Voice = 4 StarsCharacter Development = 4 StarsStory Appreciation = 4 StarsWorth the Chili = 3 Stars -- [$7.49 on Amazon when released 09/24/2013]I was in the mood for a Holiday romance. I liked this book, but the whole Holiday thing was a bust. I think the last chapter or so had some Holiday but the rest of the book wasn’t cheerful much. It is the story about two brothers, both in love with the same woman. One brother dies. Both were soldiers in the Middle East. You can imagine the rest. No spoiler needed, this is in the blurb.A few things I really liked about this book:1 – I liked this author's voice. I hadn’t read her before and I was very pleased. She tells a solid story. Her characters are multidimensional. You want to immediately pick up another and read more of her. She is the real deal.2 – The characters. Raine could have so easily been a whiny, bitchy character. She wasn’t. She was just a normal widow trying to get through the heartache of moving on without her husband. She didn’t have a clue what she should do. She only knew she didn’t want to do anything but curl up a bit longer and escape. Jake, Jesse and Raine were friends. Had been friends as long as each could remember. Raine was Jesse’s wife, but she loved them both. She could get along so much better with Jesse. Jesse is gone. Jake can still make her think about him in ways she probably shouldn’t. Jake and Raine are so full of guilt for the way they each think of the other. You’ve heard stories like this so many times. Even so, Juliana Stone does a nice job. We like these people and we want them to work things out. We feel their pain, their anxiety and then their joy. 3 – She portrays the struggle to survive after losing a loved one in the war very well. Realistic. I was crying along with Raine at one point.Now, for a few things I wasn’t crazy about:1 – Okay, I seriously only had Holiday in the last two or so chapters. I feel rather grumpy about that. This wasn’t a happy, comedic romp. It is a pretty dramatic tale about survivors guilt, about the struggle to peel away the grief and move on. If you want a happy Holiday book, this isn’t it. It really isn’t much of a Holiday book at all, hence the low rating for the book title and cover.2 – I think the price may be a deal breaker for some. This was a first time author read for me. If I hadn’t been awarded an ARC, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have paid the almost $8 price for the book. Too many good books out there much less than this. Unfortunately, I think others may feel the same. Having read it, I think it should come in at $4 and be okay. It will go for about twice that. Oh, well…This was a solid read for me by a new author. I immediately started reading the first in this series and pulled down a few others. One is free right now on Amazon. I like this authors storytelling. She creates some really nice characters. I’ll be on the lookout for more by her.I was Very Happy Reading this one. I hope you are too!ARC received from SOURCEBOOKS Casablanca via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.