HelenGeek

Books are like Air ...

Without books, life would be sooo... boring. Don't you think?

It really is just that simple.

Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone

Geek Girl

Geek Girl - Cindy C. Bennett 5 StarsI anxiously awaited this eBook after reading this authors "Heart on a Chain". This story was a bit of a slower grab for me, but once it did - WOW!This is a heart-wrenching story about a foster child; Jen Jones. Jen [Jennifer] is a 17 year old girl who has been in the foster system for years. She has developed coping mechanisms for herself which are very narcissistic and self-destructive with a low self-esteem. She wants her upper lip re-pierced and makes a "bet" to get the money to have it done. A gamble that changes her life. She tells her friends she can get the "geek" boy to be like her; dark with self-destructive tendencies. Bring a "good" boy over to the dark side; parties, skipping school, etc. What happens is the opposite. Trevor [Trev] is the geek. He is a "nice" boy. He has a loving family, a brother with Downs, he volunteers at a senior center, he plays piano and guitar, he is "perfect". Trevor touches something in Jen through his goodness and ready acceptance of her for all she is. He is able to reach down inside of her and show her just how beautiful she is, how worthy she is. She, in turn, wants to be this "better" person for him. All rolls along nicely, then he finds out about the bet and is terribly angry and hurt. Will they get to the other side of this event that brought them together .. together?This story portrays the life of this girl as she finds herself and becomes part of a lasting family. She works hard to come to terms with her past -- learning to understand she was a victim, but this doesn't have to define who she will be forever. The adults take a positive caring role in this story and are integral to who this young lady becomes. They care for her and welcome her into their family with open arms.This story touched something deep in me. I wanted the very best for Jen because she was working so hard for it and was so fragile. I wanted Trevor to come to terms with the hurt pride he had because of the bet. Without the bet, they would never have been together. A single moment in time, a single choice, impacted these two people and their families forever.A really lovely story. In the end you wanted to just jump out of your seat and throw your arms in the air and yell "YES!!!".Happy Reading!++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++no nook 01/27/2012Nook :: noticed on 04/26/2012 and only $5! Yeah ..!!++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++