HelenGeek

Books are like Air ...

Without books, life would be sooo... boring. Don't you think?

It really is just that simple.

Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone

Rule (Marked Men, #1)

Rule (Marked Men, #1) - Jay Crownover 01/29/2013 - Overall Rating = 2.5 StarsBook Cover / Book Blurb = 5 / 5 = 5 StarsWriter’s Voice = 4 Stars [until you factor in the editing mess .. 1 Star]Character Development = 4 StarsStory Appreciation = 3.5 StarsWorth the Chili = 5 Stars [$2 Amazon & B&N -- until you factor in the editing issues .. 1 Star]Okay -- I read Indie all the time and this book is probably one of the worst edited books I've ever read. What an absolute mess ... seriously!I finished last evening, and purchased the day before, so I'm sure I got the "re-edited" version [Amazon]. I'm not a stickler for editing normally. Not my thing, but when you have missing words and important words misspelled at important points in the story, along with the other numerous editing issues, can't be ignored and I have to say something. This would have been a 4 - 4.5 Star read for me, if it had been sufficiently editedEnough about it already .. I liked Rule, quite a bit actually. The whole cast of characters remind me of some "real" people I know. A story for another day ... The story pulls you in. You could see it happening so easily ... a young girl in love with the "bad boy" for f o r e v e r. He never notices her. Why? Well ... he just doesn't. No real reason. This is a guy who lives in the moment. Not a great deal of thought outside of it and she was always around and was his brothers girl -- or so he thought. It was those ruffled shorty shorts that did it!Shaw wasn't over the top. She had more or less resigned herself to living on the peripheral of Rule. Never in the inner circle. She had her own path, her own goals and she was working hard on them. She never dreamed he'd ever notice her one day. He always felt rather protective of her. Never acted on it. Didn't have to because she was the "good girl", until she wasn't. One Cosmo too many and, well, it was meant to be. It was an easy read because the story pulled you. I did like the way the author told the story. She has a good voice. For a debut, I thought she did pretty good. We had Rule's POV, then Shaw's POV, but when we switched POV's it was days or a week or so later. They would fill in the time for us, in their voice. There was a time or two where this was a bit confusing, but I think it was due to the .. **editing issues we no longer mention**.I'll definitely read more by this author, but hope she invests in a GOOD editor. I don't think authors are good at self-editing, so if this is her gig, I recommend using someone else who reads a bit.Overall, an okay read. good, not great.Happy Reading!