HelenGeek

Books are like Air ...

Without books, life would be sooo... boring. Don't you think?

It really is just that simple.

Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone

True

True - Erin McCarthy 04/07/2013 --Overall Rating = 2.5Book Cover / Book Blurb = 4 / 3.5 = 3.75 StarsWriter’s Voice = 2.5 StarsCharacter Development = 3.5 StarsStory Appreciation = 3 StarsWorth the Chili = 2 Stars [An ARC, but will probably be around $7 Amazon]++SPOILER ALERT++ There may be spoilers in the review.Well, that was interesting... I guess everyone is trying to get on the New Adult train? I have to tell you, Erin McCarthy is a bit hit and miss for me. I loved her Fast Track series, but when I've tried to read others of hers, I didn't feel the same love. It is safe to say, this is exactly what happened for me with this one. No love felt.A few thing I liked about this book first:1 -- I liked Tyler. This poor guy couldn't get a break and his loyalty to his family was inspiring. He is working his way through a two year EMT program, not so much for himself, but to make things better for his brothers. He never dreamed he'd really fall for Rory [sound familiar?]. Rory was likable as a nerdy heroine of the story. She has a huge heart and really falls hard for Tyler [sound familiar?].2 -- The secondary characters were good too. Mentioned the brothers earlier, but you have the whole cast of sexually active college friends who are looking to hook up with anything that has the right part -- penis for Rory's friends, vagina for Tyler's...3 -- The cover was okay. Not unique, but it did grab my attention. Liked the title -- it has real meaning in the book. The blurb was okay. 4 -- Nothing else really.More to dislike than like with this one:1 -- Mainstream author does New Adult. Coming off a kick ass series, but then she give us New Adult? Okay, I can understand, IF, she can give us different, unique, good. Unfortunately, this reads like so many others I've read lately. Just more and more and more of the same old crapola; high sexual activity from college students who are slowly growing up and realizing they want more than a casual hookup. Sound familiar much?2 -- Rory is a 20 year old virgin. I hate this theme with a passion. I've not ever read this particular storyline that works. EVER. It is one of my pet peeves. How is this a problem? Why all the anxiety over a little bit of hymen? I absolutely don't get it. Most of the time I don't even believe it. In this case, Rory is a bit of a non-social nerd, so I do believe it. But, who cares?3 -- The ending just left you hanging. Not in the way you may think -- no cliffhanger here... You know Tyler has a seriously screwed up future. But, because he and Rory are together, we are to forget about that and consider this a happy ending? I guess I'm too adult for this tripe. I have a pretty good idea what these two will face together and it really isn't pretty. It will have to be played like an intricate ballet to end even remotely well.4 -- I read to the end, but am sure I'll forget it tomorrow. There was nothing unique, unusual, evocative of feeling, great characterization, absolutely nothing about this book to highlight and remember. I'm sure some will like it and may identify with something here more than I did.To say I was disappointed in this authors offering isn't saying enough. She has just come off a huge hit with Fast Track and this is what we get? This is a book worthy of many Indie book authors right now; a dime a dozen. This type of book or genre' seems to be the thing right now. I hope other authors read this review and takes time to ask themselves -- do I really want to reduce myself to another in a whole pack, or can I produce something standout? If you can come up with a standout -- go for it. If not, focus on what you do best. My opinion only.Hope you are happier reading this one than I was ...ARC provided by the publisher [PENGUIN GROUP Berkley, NAL / Signet Romance, DAW] in exchange for an honest review.